Thursday, January 08, 2015

Sarawak to receive eight confirmed cruise ships this year


KUCHING: Sarawak is expected to receive eight confirmed cruise ships due to arrive this year with a few more pending confirmation from the cruise operators.

Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) regional manager for UK and Europe, Maurice Balang said with the cruise industry currently on the rise, there has been a demand in this industry despite the lack of proper cruise terminals in the state.

According to a press statement, the total visitor arrivals to the state had increased by 23 per cent with a total of 4.3 million tourist arrivals as of Nov 30 last year compared to the same period in the previous year.

“We will continue our efforts in promoting Sarawak as a place where adventure lives,” he said when welcoming passengers aboard the Silverwind Monaco which sailed into Sarawak and docked at Bintulu Port yesterday.

The Silverwind Monaco is the first cruise ship to arrive in Sarawak this year.

The cruise ship was on its 11-day cruise from Singapore to Bali beginning from Singapore, then Bintulu, Muara, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan, Pare-Pare, Makassar, Komodo and finally making its final stop in Benoa, Bali.

.
.

Labels: ,