Kota Kinabalu: No time frame has been set to seek World Heritage status for more sites in Sabah such as Maliau Basin (also known as the Lost World), Danum Valley and Imbak Canyon, said Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister, Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun.
"The government has constantly evaluated the potential of other sites to be recognised," he told a press conference on Malaysia Unesco (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) Day at Wisma Tun Fuad Stephens, Thursday.
"We plan to propose Danum Valley, Imbak Canyon and Maliau Basin for World Heritage Site status but first we have to comply with all the requirements and they are strict.
"We are not in a hurry to pursue this…furthermore, the existing laws had recognised these sites as first class forest reserves," he said.
As such, he said, at the moment it is sufficient for the sites to be protected under the law.
Masidi also said, so far, there are no issues which could jeopardise the World Heritage Site status of Kinabalu Park.
"All heritage sites are under constant evaluation (by Unesco) and should there are any issue that affect the status, then we will be informed," he said.
On the 7th Malaysia Unesco Day, Masidi said, Kundasang township will play host for the celebration this weekend (Sept. 9-10).
The event aims to increase the visibility and role of the Malaysian National Commission for Unesco (SKUM) as well as strengthen cooperation between the commission and government agencies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and the public.
Continue reading at: No time frame for more World Heritage Sites in Sabah.