Saturday, October 21, 2017

Zoomology Blog: Orangutans of Borneo - Woken by the People of the Forest


The rainforest never truly sleeps. 

When one group of animals finishes their shift, they are instantly replaced by a suite of other unimaginably unique and noisy creatures.

After a night full of frogs croaking, geckos chit-chatting, insects buzzing and owls screeching, first light began to filter through the trees.

Lying in bed, we could hear the sounds of the forest change.

Birds began to sing and a different assortment of whirring insects started their engines.

I could hear something larger though.

Large enough to bend branches and shake trees.

Needless to say, I was up and out the door.

With my eyes struggling to adjust, I noticed two long-limbed silhouettes moving towards me.

Considering our short stay at the field centre and the tiny number of orangutans left in the wild, I knew that our chances of seeing orangutans would be slim.

.
.