Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Did you know: Rules about touching an Orangutan?


As NBC TODAY goes to Borneo, please find a recent posting from MSNBC's Family Blog, AllDay, about the “Do’s and Dont’s” of orangutans in Borneo, which I hope you will find not only interesting but also educational.


In our modern society, there are rules that govern every aspect of our lives. But rules about touching an orangutan? Who knew?

In preparation for our trip to Borneo, I received a plethora of information about our location and an exhaustive page on the “Do’s and Dont’s” of orangutans. One of the more disturbing “Do’s” was that I had to get checked for HIV, Hep-B and TB. Not for my protection, but for the apes. What? Are these not the critters that run around a swamp swinging naked from trees and pissing on anything that happens by? Tests that prove I am worthy to meet the apes? That’s a new twist. OK, OK, no problem. I’ll have the tests done. Hell, I need the work.

But wait, there was more. Check out these general guidelines for when meeting an orangutan:

1. Do not touch the orangutan
2. Do not engage the orangutan
3. Do not wear loud clothing (Well, there goes my Elton John outfit!)
4. Do not make fun of the orangutan
5. Do not take pictures of the orangutan that will offend them

Continue reading (incl. pics and a video) at: Rules about touching an Orangutan?

No comments: