KOTA KINABALU: Climbing activities at Mount Kinabalu resume today, upon clearance following a field damage assessment.
Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Masidi Manjun said via Twitter that a technical team of 47 people led by Sabah Parks director Dr Jamili Nais confirmed that the summit trail and all ancillary facilities were unaffected by the earthquake.
“On their recommendation, I have lifted the suspension to climb,” he wrote.
Earlier, Masidi was asked by a concerned netizen how long climbing activities would be suspended, as tours had been planned.
Masidi replied that field evaluation was being conducted at the time, adding that the evaluation and recommendation from the team would determine how soon the climbing suspension could be lifted.
“We are as eager as you to reopen as soon as possible,” he added.
Shortly after, Jamili updated his own Twitter account with a photo of Panar Laban Hut at Laban Rata, captioned “all is well up here on Mount Kinabalu.”
Meanwhile, Sabah Association of Tour and Travel Agents (Satta) president Datuk Seri Winston Liaw said the 5.2 magnitude earthquake that hit Sabah on Thursday has minimal impact on the tourism industry.
He said the tremor this time was not as strong as the 6.1 magnitude earthquake back in 2015 and no casualties were reported.
“The earthquake will not have any major impact on the local tourism industry.”
He said tourists had not expressed concern over the quake.
Continue reading (Incl. Pic) at: Mount Kinabalu climbing activities resume today.