KUCHING: The Rainforest World Music Festival (RWMF) still drew the crowd and met its target this year despite the economic downturn and the Influenza A (H1N1) scare, Urban Development and Tourism Minister Datuk Michael Manyin said yesterday.
“We expected the worst due to the economic downturn and A (H1N1) scare.
“I had sleepless nights for months thinking about it,” he told a press conference at Sarawak Cultural Village (SCV) in Santubong near where the RWMF was held.
On Friday, about 5,000 people including tourists registered their attendance.
Come Saturday, the number of attendance was 8,569.
“Thank God we achieved our targets for this year,” Manyin said, while heaving a sigh of relief.
On Sunday night, he said SCV recorded around seven to eight thousand people and therefore at the end of it all, the RWMF had reached its original target for this year.
Last year, the total number of registered attendance was 22,000, he said.
“Ever since the RWMF started in the late 1990s, the number of people coming in here increased from year to year, and then the number remained consistent for the last three years,” the minister said.
Continue reading (incl. pic) at: Sarawak Rainforest World Music Festival a success