Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Best of Sarawak: Bako National Park barren forest

THE heat is sweltering in Kampung Bako, the gateway to the Bako National Park at the tip of the Muara Tebas peninsula in Sarawak.

But it doesn’t bother me. In fact, I’m pleased that the clear sky will let me indulge in what I consider an adventure of a lifetime.

I’d heard so much about Bako and I’d been looking forward to the trip. There was not enough time to explore all of the 2,727-hectare site so I am to concentrate on the Kerangas Forest.

“Kerangas Forest? What’s that?” I inquired when the suggestion was first made. Pictures of armies of red fire ants crawling all over came to mind as the name closely resembles kerengga, the Malay name for red ants.

To my relief, I learn that kerangas is an Iban word for “a place where paddy cannot grow” indicating its lack of soil fertility.

Continue reading (incl. pics) at: Best of Sarawak: Bako National Park barren forest

No comments: