Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Pistol Shrimp at Manukan Island


From MySabah blog:

I first knew pistol shrimp (aka snapping shrimp), one of the loudest animals on earth, from Discovery Channel, and I was so happy to see this strange animal exists in an unexpected place - Manukan Island (Pulau Manukan) of Tunku Abdul Rahman Park.

Compared to other islands nearby such as Sapi and Mamutik, the long and white sandy beach of Manukan Island attracts the most number of tourists. After I was done with snorkelling, I decided to check out the rocky shore behind the island.

Hearing popping sounds, I knew this fellow was around. I search among the rubble partly exposed on the water. Then I sensed something retreated very fast into a burrow under the water.

Continue reading (incl. pics) at: Pistol Shrimp at Manukan Island
.
.

No comments: