Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rumah Terbalik (Upside Down House), Tuaran, Sabah


The family back home was abuzz with news of the latest attraction in Sabah, which was the upside down house. My eyes rolled at the fact that it was just a man-made structure that's not even an original idea.

Little did I know that I would be making a stop here on our journey to Kampung Luanti for the fish massage! It was along the way and seemed a waste not to satisfy our curiosity.

Rumah Terbalik (meaning Upside Down House) as it has been named, has no significant cultural bearings nor is it a natural phenomenon like the famed Rafflesia.

I would have put its existence down to an inauthentic tourist attraction had I not known that it was built with an important message against the exploit of natural resources.

According to legend..I mean, mom..it was constructed as a grim reminder that our world could turn upside down with the continuation of such abuses.

The tickets are a bit pricey but I consoled myself that, "It's for a good cause". Really!

We were only allowed to take photos at designated areas outside the house. The interior was off limits. A guide led us through with a brief explanation. Inside, the ceiling was the floor and vice versa.

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: Rumah Terbalik (Upside Down House), Tuaran, Sabah
.
.