SIBU: Travel operators from Peninsular Malaysia and overseas have been invited for a familiarisation trip here during the Borneo Cultural Festival (BCF) as an effort to elevate the event to a higher level.
Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) deputy chairman Dato Andrew Wong, who disclosed this, said most of the operators are from the Peninsula while one or two are from China.
“At the moment, we are still targeting visitors within Sarawak.
“However, for this year, we have invited a lot of travel operators from outside Sarawak to visit us, in what we call a familiarisation visit during the BCF.
“We are working in collaboration with Sibu Travel Operators Association.
“The move is for us to better promote Sibu and BCF in future,” Wong, who is BCF organising chairman, told The Borneo Post.
He was asked if there were plans to promote BCF to the international arena.
Towards this end, Wong reckoned Visit Sibu Year 2016 would be the flag-off for BCF to be launched into the international stage.
“We have to do promotion for BCF before we can actually launch it onto another level. So, this is what I call the transition period,” he said.
BCF, into its 12th year, will kick off on July 30 and ends on Aug 8.
It goes by the same theme as last year – ‘Beauty in Ethnic Diversity’.
Labels: Borneo Cultural Festival, Sibu