KOTA KINABALU: The Mount Kinabalu International Climbathon will proceed to be held in October this year with a few modifications to the route and number of participant, despite initial proposals to postpone the event due to the earthquake and current economic conditions.
Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Masidi Manjun said the climbathon was slated to be held on October 16 this year, while the participation would be by invitation only.
“The Adventure Series surely cannot take place because the trail has been badly damaged by the earthquake last year.”
However, he said climbathon would continue with its Elite Series, meaning that the quality of participants would be better.
The one-day climbathon will be slightly longer than the previous route, an increase from 8.72 kilometres to close to nine kilometres.
Climbers will begin the race at Timpohon Gate to Panalaban, Aki Point and finally the summit via the Ranau trail before making their way back down again.
“Despite the earthquake in mid-2015 and climbing activities just resumed on December 1, we at the ministry and Sabah Tourism Board have decided to hold the Mt Kinabalu International Climbathon this year with slight modifications.
“There were suggestions that we should postpone the climbathon but the event adds value to Sabah.”
Masidi said participation of the Mt Kinabalu International Climbathon would be limited to invitees only, though the exact number had yet to be determined.
Continue reading at: Mount Kinabalu International Climbathon to proceed with modifications to route, participation.