Wednesday, January 20, 2016

No decision yet on newly found cave in Mulu


KUCHING: There is no decision yet from the Sarawak government to develop the newly discovered cave, “conviction cave” at the world’s famous Gunung Mulu National Park in Miri as another tourism attraction.

The massive cave system, believed to be over six million years, was discovered by British caver Andy Eavis on Oct 15, last year.

It is located in the midst of the national park and is potentially among the world’s top 15 largest caves.

“This cave is geographically a very significant and important discovery, as well as very special for eco-tourism but it is very difficult to get there even for the experts,” said Sarawak Forestry Corporation (SFC) chief executive officer (CEO), Wong Ting Chung.

However, he told Bernama that it was up to the Sarawak government to decide whether to develop the cave as another eco-tourism product.

“The cave’s size, great age, and the likelihood that it is completely untouched make it an important scientific discovery,” he said.

Eavis had launched over 24 expeditions since 1977 in search of the tunnel until he found the cave just 15 km from the entrance of Gunung Mulu National Park, as what could be one of the world’s largest caves that starts with a hole in the ground, just large enough for a human.

Continue reading (Incl. Pic) at: No decision yet on newly found cave in Mulu
.
.

Labels: , ,