KOTA KINABALU: After seven months of closure due to the earthquake which hit Mount Kinabalu on June 5 last year, Mountain Torq Sdn Bhd is reopening the award-winning world’s highest via ferrata on Mount Kinabalu to climbers.
Mountain Torq also announced the introduction of the Aeroligne System, which is a continuous belay system that allows the climber to be in continuous connection to the safety cable.
Developed in France, the system is first of its kind in Asia.
Mountain Torq director Wilfred Tok said the company was busy improving and upgrading its safety procedures, equipment and via ferrata for the past few months.
“Apart from redesigning our via ferrata route to a much safer location, we have also worked together with Sabah Parks to incorporate safety procedures and increase communication protocol,” he said at the relaunch ceremony officiated by the Minister of Tourism, Culture and Environment Datuk Seri Panglima Masidi Manjun here yesterday.
He said the Aeroligne System was a continuous belay system which would increase customer’s safety and confidence on the via ferrate while creating a smoother and more seamless experience for the climbers.
“The system is installed on the Low’s Peak Circuit via ferrata route which holds the record of being the world’s highest via ferrata certified by the Guinness Book of Records since 2009.”
Continue reading at: Via ferrata on Mount Kinabalu reopens.