Tuesday, April 23, 2013

27th Mt. Kinabalu Climbathon 2013 has new routes and new challenges!


I think I am going to participate in this year’s Mount Kinabalu Climbathon. It’s about time for me to realize one of my dream – to run the toughest mountain climb in South East Asia. When I first climb Mount Kinabalu in 2002, I fell in love with the mountain. After 10 years of ‘procrastinating’, it’s about time for me to do it.

I actually have been training for 10km run in Borneo International Marathon this year since February. I run on treadmills in Hyatt Regency Hotel Kota Kinabalu gymnasium twice a week, run a couple of rounds around my neighborhood in Putatan and few half marathon distance from Kompleks Sukan Likas to UMS. I must say that its not easy, its agonizing and its painful, but I like it very much.

I did a fairly good time of under 65 minutes  few times and confident that I can make it better during the event. Borneo International Marathon will be held at night on the 4th of May – just few hours before our nation’s 13th General Election. Well, maybe I will do a separate post for my running experience later.

Back to the climbathon. A friend of me said to few days back that climbathon is not the same as marathon running. It’s a mixture of trail running and paved roads. And don’t forget the elevation – 1500 meters up and 1500 meters down in 23 km distance. So, the training will have to be different because the challenges is different from running on roads. It’s about time for me to look for book/website/blog/youtube for more information on trail running.

This year’s climbathon will offer two new routes for two new categories:

1. Summit Race (will reach the summit of Kinabalu)

The race course will start from Kinabalu Park entrance, to the summit of Mt. Kinabalu (4,095.2 m) then down to Masilau and finishing at Kundasang town. This race course is 33 Km long running on 15 Km of tarmac road and 18 Km of forest trails with the rock face at the summit. These category only accepts 110 elite men and 40 elite women and open to qualified runners with the following qualification:

  • Runners that has completed in any of the past Climbathon within the time starting from year 2008.
  • Completed in their countries official mountain race (with proof of results).
  • Recommended (in writing) by their country’s national mountain race / athletic body or any other organisation that the Climbathon organiser recognises or approves of.

.
.