Sunday, January 17, 2016

Kota Kinabalu – the Best Place for Unplanned Travel


Sometimes the best adventures in life are unplanned. Multiple experiences have reinforced this belief in me and the Kota Kinabalu experience was no exception. Thanks to a busy work life, I had no time to read about Kota Kinabalu and also plan for it.

Additionally, I wasn’t too kicked about this trip because of the hangover of my splendid Vietnam trip. I was mentally reliving my Vietnam moments. Also, to tell you the truth I was kind of forced into booking this trip because a friend desperately wanted to travel out of Philippines and wanted me to accompany her but she chickened out in the end and this ended up becoming yet another solo trip.

I had two options. Either to cancel my trip or venture into the unexplored. I chose the latter, like I always do! A few adjustments were made- a luxury hotel was swapped for a hostel, budget was increased and more importantly, I became the pilot rather than a mere co-passenger.

It is natural for you to wonder when I say that Kota Kinabalu is the best place for unplanned travel. It is not without reasons and here are three of them:

1. Travel Easy: Kota Kinabalu is well connected with frequent low cost flights (at attractive prices) from all major cities in South East Asia. You can reach Kota Kinabalu in 2-2.5 hrs from most of them and within 15 minutes, the city centre. Most hotspots in the city are within walking distance and the distant ones can be covered with the pretty good public transport. You can either choose a city bus or a minivan or a taxi to get around. For traveling out of KK there are long distance buses or taxis available quite easily.

2. One place. Assorted Experiences: Kota Kinabalu is a ‘Nature Resort City’ located on the tropical island of Borneo, Malaysia, which possesses the natural treasure of unique ethnic cultures, endearing hospitality of friendly and English speaking locals, sumptuous cuisine from around the world, breathtaking marine and exotic preservations. And if you go a little further from KK you’ll find incredible landscape variety. It is a living Biodiversity island comprising of a complex ecosystem with mangroves stretching till the eyes can see, tropical rainforests with great trails, majestic Mount Kinabalu with crisp air and marvelous view, marshlands with astounding natural beauty, unending rivers with abundant wildlife, pristine long sandy beaches, paradise islands and virgin coral reefs among other natural wonders. I’ve never come across such rich variety!

3. Suits any kind of budget: Kota Kinabalu is one place which caters to all kind of travelers. Basis your pocket you can choose your accommodation and tours. While the best place to stay at KK is Shangri-la’ Rasa Ria Resort you can always have your pick from a wide variety of hotels, Hostels, Motels, B&B or house apartments to suit any budget.

.
.