Friday, May 13, 2016

Stardust: Mount Kinabalu, Sabah


If there is any crazy thing I did in my life, it would be the decision to climb up the tallest peak between the Himalayas and the New Guinea – the majestic Mount Kinabalu.

The word “Kinabalu” comes from a Kadazan word “Aki Nabalu” which means “the revered place of the dead”.

Hiking is not my passion, I mean I’m not even athletic enough to jog! But my opportunity to stay in this peaceful land Sabah made me thought, why not give it a try?

I wasn’t really aiming to reach the peak anyway, I just wanted to experience how hiking is like.

So, I paid my insurance and fees, together with a group of 14 friends (some of them are marathon-runners, real hikers, and of course me).

I did not do any preparation for the hike, hiking gears, fitness, and also mental readiness until 2 weeks before the real shit.

My friend and I, who would not even climb the stairs, let alone the mountain went really nervous.

Because we knew we were not prepared! We thought of chickening out, but we didn’t want the money went to waste so we just stick to it.

We departed for the hike on 28th April 2015, in the morning.

Our mountain guides briefed us about the trail route, resting check points, and all other safety precautions.

We basically packed our bag with energy bars, water and a pair of clean socks and shirt, oh and a rain coat.

With a climbing stick, we started off our hike via the Mesilau Route, the route which a fitter and adventurous hikers would choose, if you know what I mean, yes it’s the tougher route (steeper, more slippery and longer).

The view along the trail was just spectacular, we couldn’t help to take tonnes of photos!

On the first day, our target was to reach Laban Rata before the sun set.

The journey was long but the view was breathtaking. It was the most tiring day in my life, I couldn’t feel my legs when I finally arrived in Laban Rata Rest House which was at 6pm.

Right after grabbing dinner, I had painkillers and went to sleep right away.

Because the journey for the next day was at 2 a.m! That’s just few hours sleep!

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: Stardust: Mount Kinabalu, Sabah
.
.