Friday, October 25, 2013

A whopping 86 per cent rise in tourist arrivals from China, Hong Kong


KOTA KINABALU: Tourist arrivals from China and Hong Kong to Sabah surged more than 86 per cent for the first eight months this year numbering at 247,273.

For the same period last year, there were 132,377 arrivals from China and Hong Kong.

Minister of Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment, Datuk Masidi Manjun said his ministry would continue to make efforts in improving facilities for the convenience of tourists from China in Sabah.

He made the assurance when receiving a courtesy call from the Kota Kinabalu Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KKCCCI) at his office here yesterday.

The visitors were led by KKCCCI president, Datuk Michael Lui.

Masidi said to ensure tourist arrivals in Sabah continue to rise, hotels have been told to improve facilities for tourists from China by having menus translated to Mandarin.

The Ministry has also sponsored officers and staff at the airport terminal gates to take Mandarin classes to enable them to communicate with the Chinese visitors.

Other measures taken by the Ministry have been to work with the Kota Kinabalu City Hall in providing more police ‘huts’ specially to assist tourists in the city.

“In Bali, Indonesia there are culture police who encourage people to be courteous and helpful to tourists and perhaps this is something that can be done here too,” suggested Masidi.

.
.

Labels: