Friday, November 13, 2015

The Phuket List: Borneo - Sarawak


A quick flight from KL to Kuching (for the ridiculous price of $24) set me down on the island of Borneo to start my 5 week exploration.

I hopped in a cab and headed straight for the downtown area to drop my bags off at my hostel.

Then it was time to get out and explore the Chinatown area nearby.

My first full day in Kuching I caught the local bus out to Semenggoh Orangutan Rehabilitation Center to meet up with my relatives.

The park originally had 10 semi-wild orangutans and now they have 26.

It was amazing to watch them peel bananas and boiled eggs.

Their faces are so expressive and human-like. I just couldn’t get enough!

After watching them eat and play for a few hours it was time to head back into the city.

The next day I caught another public bus to Bako National Park for an overnight visit.

Unfortunately when I arrived it was low tide and had to wait 3 hours for the boat to take us out to the park.

Once we finally arrived I dropped my bags off in the dorm room and headed out for a hike.

I hiked about 2.2 km to a beach to see if I could find some proboscis monkeys.

As I approached the beach I managed to scare off a group of about 6 or 7.

After the hike I went to lay down and take a short nap before dinner which turned into sleeping until the next morning.

Oops, guess I was tired. When I woke from my deep slumber I headed out for another hike, this one about 7 km to a different beach and viewpoint overlooking the South China Sea.

Then I grabbed my stuff and headed back to Kuching for the evening.

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: The Phuket List: Borneo - Sarawak
.
.