Monday, September 26, 2016

My Wander Lust HQ: Turtle Island - Kota Kinabalu


After a nice chill day and just taking my time to do some laundry and take care of a few things, it was time to repack my bag and get my daypack ready for turtle island.

On the morning of my departure, a dutch girl knocked on my door to ask if she could join.

We quickly went to the tour operator to ask and it was no problem. This meant no single supplement for me, so a 150 ringgit score!

Turtle Island is situated about 40km from Sandakan. It is one of three islands where green and hawksbill turtles come year round to lay their eggs.

All three islands have rangers who then collect the eggs and place them in hatcheries where they are protected from predators like monitor lizards, who just love to feast on these delicious eggs. These hatcheries are the most productive in all of Southeast Asia.

We spent the afternoon on the beach swimming and snorkeling. After dinner we waited for the rangers to take us back to the beach and watch a green turtle lay her eggs, after which we went up to the hatchery to bury them and then finally watched how 53 babies were let to sea.

We were lucky to see an untouched nest of eggs hatch on the beach in the afternoon and watch the little ones make their why to the ocean.

Early the next morning we searched the beach for stranded baby turtles and big females heading back to sea but we had no luck.

After an hour on the speed boat back to Sandakan, I took the long distance bus back to Kota Kinabalu.

On my first day back in the capital I just wandered around and took in the sights. On friday I was supposed to join two New Zealanders on a cooking class but unfortunately the tour company cancelled the night before.

We were not happy! :-( It was too late at night to book something else so I spend another day in the city. I walked up to the big mosque on the outskirts and back.

By then it was lunchtime and time to find a spot with airconditioning!! So hot and humid here!

In the afternoon I walked up Signal Hill to see the city from above. On the way down I stopped at a small jewelry shop where I made my own bracelet. So much more fun then just buying one.

The hostel I am staying at is very good at getting people together and taking us out to the best restaurants. Every night so far has been a feast.

Continue reading (Incl. Pic) at: My Wander Lust HQ: Turtle Island - Kota Kinabalu
.
.