Thursday, June 04, 2009

An enchantress named Sabah


IF northern Sabah is a woman, I want to marry her. She has natural beauty and charm and is cultured too. Oh heck, she even entices with her demure dresses in oh-so-calm green.

And although she may not be singing all the high notes of the 21st Century, she has enough to take one’s senses to a high. Untouched for decades, the northern tip of this Land Below The Wind is a world not quite adjusted to new age.

Take for example the fried free-range chicken. The meat is leathery tough but I swear it’s the most natural-tasting and flavoursome chicken I’ve had for a long, long time.

This simple meal is but a little depiction of Borneo’s idyllic charm, untouched by modernity. For me, it’s one of the many small and pleasurable parts of my journey.

For every great journey, the destination is only half the deal. The rest is made up of many things, food included, and the people you meet and travel with.

Mine is a mix bag of characters that completes my Kota Kinabalu-Kudat trip. My travelling partners include a reforestation project director, a retired accountant and an intrepid seafarer.

With an anthropology professor, an award-winning botanist and an eco-design architect stirred in, the days gallop along with astute narrations from these experts.

Continue reading (incl. pics) at: An enchantress named Sabah
.
.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Hi there,

I have this really exciting tool to help you calculate the impact of your travelling on the environment, and I thought it might fit in well with your interests. Though we love to travel, carbon emissions are an issue that is starting to worry a lot of us. The Flight CO2 Calculator will hopefully encourage us all to be more socially responsible by perhaps considering greener travel options.
If you are interested, take a look at http://www.tripbase.com/flight-Co2-calculator. It would be great if you could post the calculator on your blog. I really think it would add value to your site as a whole by sparking awareness, interest and debate from your followers. I hope you like it!

Many thanks ,

Anna