Saturday, January 05, 2008

World’s highest ‘iron road’ on Sabah’s Mt Kinabalu


I’m plastered to a near-vertical rock face at 3,800m high and looking down into a seemingly bottomless pit. My Jello-like feet teeter on footholds the size of digestive cookies.

Then, whoosh comes the lashing wind. I hug the rock so tight, I could almost kiss it. The butterflies are waging a Cold War in my stomach.

Then somebody yells: “Check out the view!” I draw a deep breath, turn my head around and take in the awesome sight of a brilliant blue sky flecked with cotton-candy clouds and a rich, verdant valley dotted by matchbox-sized buildings.

It’s hard not to feel like you’re on top of the world!

I’m on Asia’s first and the world’s highest via ferrata or “iron road” on top of Mt Kinabalu, Sabah.

Launched in mid-December 2007, the Mountain Torq Via Ferrata is a mountain “trail” made up of iron rungs, palettes (footholds), cables and rails wrapped around the north face of Mt Kinabalu.

Continue reading (incl. pics) at: World’s highest ‘iron road’ on Sabah’s Mt Kinabalu

No comments: