KOTA KINABALU: It is that time again when all the beauties from all over the state gather to vie for the ‘fairest of them all’ title this Friday (May 31).
Forty hopefuls gathered for the registration exercise at Le Meridien Hotel
at 8am yesterday clad in their traditional costumes, a sleeved or sleeveless black velvet attire, paired with a matching long or short skirt, which also represents the area they come from.
The young lasses seemed to click almost immediately, exchanging names and biodata, chatting with one another, proud to be representing their districts.
Prior to the event, the contestants had to go through various stages from the village-level Unduk Ngadau Kaamatan (Harvest Beauty Pageant), or UNK, to the district-level before finally competing for the Unduk Ngadau title at the finale to be held at the Kadazan Dusun Cultural Hall.
However, Tungku did not send any representative as the district-level organisers had decided to skip the Kaamatan Festival this year.
The contestants are:
- Alvira Teresa Peter (Membakut)
- Alwen Tsen Oi Wen (Menumbok)
- Angela Siau Yun (Keningau)
- Ashley Selvi Ravindran (Tanjung Aru)
- Azlina Celestinus (Tamparuli)
- Cherlly Marcella Henry (Paitan)
- Cherry Woolinskeyy Mudir (Tenom)
- Christine Michael (Kunak)
- Daphne Fay W Santor (Kota Marudu)
- Dedie Phang (Penampang)
- Dezerie Karen Catharinus Sham (Beluran)
- Diana Gilbert (Putatan)
- Elviralynn Ukon (Labuan)
- Esther Honorius (Sook)
- Hemy Menjadi (Likas)
- Imelda Lim Chiew Chen (Kota Belud)
- Immaculate Lojuki (Kota Kinabalu)
- Iziana Binti Midung (Matunggong)
- Jaime Mohamid (Lahad Datu)
- Jennifer David (Tawau)
- Jovilin Umjin (Kinabatangan)
- Ledesma Steven (Klang Valley)
- Leslie Vitalis Misin (Kuala Penyu)
- Martha Kail (Sandakan)
- Marvena Jitol (Kudat)
- Muslisah Pengawai (Nabawan)
- Natalie Christine Chong (Beaufort)
- Nillsey Debbie Sening (Tuaran)
- Norhanina Malih (Tongod)
- Rayana Raymund (Pagalungan)
- Ritchel Andreas (Ranau)
- Roseanne Tay (Inanam)
- Sarah Cleophas Gorotud (Tambunan)
- Shanen Brenda Engelbert Lim (Papar)
- Sharon Adrain (Semporna)
- Shepherdlyn Julcie M Mikat (Pitas)
- Sofeviadick Binti Benedik (Kemabong)
- Supang Binti Sulaiman (Sipitang)
- Velleire Jane Prisley (Telupid) and
- Vycentha Karen Vitalis (Banggi).
Tungku did not send any representative as the district-level organisers had decided to skip the Kaamatan Festival this year.
After two hours of registration, the contestants were brought to attend video shoot and photography sessions before being briefed by the event’s organising chairperson, Joanna Datuk Kitingan on what their role is all about before proceeding to the ice-breaking session supervised by Philomena Engsun.
Labels: Kadazandusun, Le Meridien, Pesta Kaamatan, Sabah Culture, Unduk Ngadau