Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Tourists returning to Sabah


Tourism in Sabah which had taken a hard hit from the Lahad Datu conflict is beginning to recover, according to industry players who say tourists are coming back.

Sabah Hotel sales and marketing director Anthony Kong said cancellations were fewer compared to early March, and groups who had postponed trips were reinstating their bookings.

“In order to portray the actual situation here, we launched a series of YouTube videos where our guests provide testimonies, and we uploaded them for circulation,” he said.

One of the videos featured four children speaking of their favourite food and their experience there as they swam in the hotel pool.

Another featured a delighted couple describing their “relaxing family holiday”, and their Sandakan tour.

Kong added that there had been several visitors who chose Sabah despite travel advisories warning them against it.

Although Sandakan is over 230km away from Kampung Tanduo in Lahad Datu, a number of tourists had postponed or cancelled their holiday plans during the height of the conflict.

Sabah Hotel had recorded over RM120,000 in losses from cancellation of room and event reservations in March alone.

Meanwhile, tour operators were busy promoting the state's various places of attraction, which include the Kinabalu National Park, Layang-Layang island, Lok Kawi Wildlife Park and diving spots like Sipadan and Mabul islands.

Continue reading (Incl. Pic & Vid) at: Tourists returning to Sabah
.
.

Labels: , , ,