Saturday, September 05, 2015

Adventure luxe at the Mulu Marriott Resort & Spa


As we flew across the jungle to land at Mulu Airport, I spotted the Marriott nestled next to the Melinau River, its sparkling pool shining in the sunlight and natural architecture and timber walkways merging with the rainforest.

I’d booked here because of an accident with dates - I’d intended for Emmie, my five year old, and I to stay inside the Gunung Mulu National Park but mistakenly didn’t book the first night and by the time I realised the Park accommodation was booked out.

While there were many other budget choices I would have made had I been back in my backpacking days or if I wasn’t with Emmie, the only option for us was the Marriott (which of course I was secretly very happy and excited about!) and so we were ready for our taste of luxury after six days in a budget hotel while exploring Kuching and its surrounding national parks.

The Mulu Marriott Resort & Spa is an incredible drop of luxury within this Sarawak rainforest. The national park is home to some the biggest caves in the world, astounding wildlife, insects and bugs, the famous limestone shards known as the Pinnacles, underground waterways, millions of bats and the Melinau River.

It’s just a five minute shuttle ride to Gunung Mulu National Park headquarters fromt he hotel, its superb location enabling guests to combine luxury accommodation and rainforest, cave and river adventures. I had booked a room for our first night at Mulu, intending for us to then transfer to the more basic National Park accommodation.

Well the intention was there but realistically this was a big mistake. The lesson I've learned is that if I book into luxury accommodation for one night there is no way I will move into another accommodation the next day, even if I have booked and paid for it. It just won’t happen. The Marriott was too amazing. We couldn’t leave, and of course we blew out the budget but it was well worth it.

Here's what we loved about the Mulu Marriott Resort & Spa:

  • The stunningly furnished gallery deck that extends in a u-shape from lobby to bar. Overlooking the Melinau River, with huge overhead fans stirring the air, birds swooping past through the rainforest, daybeds, lounges, overstuffed reading chairs, hard wood long tables and hundreds of cushions - it’s the perfect location for a post-walk beer, an afternoon siesta or to recline and enjoy the surroundings day or night. Soft music plays, the bar serves beautifully chilled beers, wine and spirits, and wifi is accessible from here and the restaurant/dining room.
  • The rooms! Gorgeous comfy beds, balconies overlooking the jungle, huge bathrooms and the most fragrant and moisturising spa toiletries I’ve ever found in a hotel. Perfectly private and quiet.

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: Adventure luxe at the Mulu Marriott Resort & Spa
.
.