SIBU: The Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) is confident that Visit Sibu Year (VSY) 2017 will be successful, thanks to the securing of some RM3 million in funding.
SMC deputy chairman Datuk Andrew Wong said on Monday that the council had received RM1.2 million from the state government last year, and RM1.52 this year.
“Tourism Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg has promised to give RM200,000,” he said.
“All in all, since last year we have secured close to RM3 million. So, I think VSY 2017 will do well, and everything is on schedule.”
He said since VSY’s launch last March, there had been a lot of publicity on social media including the Facebook page Travel Sibu, which has close to 60,000 page views.
Wong added the target would be 292,000 page views by the end of the year.
He said SMC would be targeting young and adventurous backpackers aged between 18 and late 20s, who would be enticed by food and nature.
“The segment of tourists is into adventure tourism,” he said.
Continue reading at: Confident of successful Visit Sibu Year 2017.