Thursday, June 02, 2016

Luxury Hotel Review: Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia


I just came from a day tour in Dinawan Island when I checked in at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu on my birthday, May 4. It was my third night in Kota Kinabalu, and after an entire day of snorkeling, fishing, and kayaking, staying in a world-class hotel with a view of the sea is the best way to relax and recharge.

As I entered the hotel, I was warmly welcomed by its Assistant Manager for Public Relations, Ervina Masduki, who I have been corresponding with since January. She assisted me during check in, gave me my keycards, and told me to meet her in Nagisa Japanese Restaurant after I drop my bags in my room.

As the first international chain hotel in the state of Sabah, Hyatt Regency Kinabalu has been around since 1979. It is strategically located in KK’s entertainment and business district, making it accessible to shopping centers, government offices, tourist spots, and the airport. It has undergone a few major renovations through the years, but its topnotch level of service and hospitality has remained the same. Hyatt Regency Kinabalu is also a consistent recipient of excellence awards from booking sites and Malaysia and Sabah Tourism Boards.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE PROPERTY

Hyatt Regency Kinabalu’s strategic location on the waterfront area provides guests with sea view rooms a breathtaking view of the South China Sea and neighboring islands. The hotel is also the perfect place for taking those amazing sunset photos.

Aside from the view, Hyatt Regency Kinabalu is also an ideal spot for tourists who wish to see the rest of the city. With its proximity to Suria Sabah, Local Handicraft Market, Gaya Street Sunday Market, Jesselton Port, and other tourist attractions, it makes driving around efficient and seamless. Currency exchange is also not a problem as numerous money changers are found in Wisma Merdeka, which is right next to the hotel.

As mentioned, the hotel just had some renovations. One of their newest offerings is The Residence, described as “Kota Kinabalu’s only residential-style, multi-functional premium event facility.” During my stay, I was lucky to be invited to a meeting and events showcase party where Hyatt Regency Kinabalu re-introduced their meeting and event spaces and also launched The Residence.

THE STAFF

Back when I sent my proposal to Ervina about writing a review on Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, I knew that I am in good hands when I arrive in their hotel. She immediately accepted my request, and was kind enough to adjust my preferred dates so I will be there on my birthday.

I felt like family during my entire stay, especially when Ervina invited me to the showcase party and even gave me a 10:00 p.m. checkout so I could still use the room until the end of the event. During the party, I was able to meet Arifin Darmawan, the General Manager, and Bennett Peter, the Director of Sales and Marketing. They were very welcoming, asking me about my stay and what I think of their hotel.

As for the rest of the staff, I was very impressed with how attentive they are of their guests’ needs. There was a problem with my bathtub on the first night, and they immediately sent housekeeping to solve it when I called. Everyone was very friendly, greeting me with smiles on their faces whenever they would see me in the hotel.

.
.