Monday, April 10, 2017

According To Zascha: Meeting the Orangutans in Borneo


If you want to see orangutans in Borneo then the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre is a great way to start.

I’ve always been a great fan of orangutans.

I had even adopted two some years ago through a Danish organisation in Borneo – both of them have now been set free in the wild again which warms my heart tremendously.

I think they’re incredibly fascinating and I hope they’ll stay around forever.

My main reason for catching the flight to Sandakan was to go and visit the orangutans.

I decided I wanted to be close to the rehabilitation centre 24 km away from the town, so I booked myself into a jungle resort just down the road from there.

A lovely place where you’re surrounded by nature.

The next morning I was up and ready to go. The centre opens at 9 AM and I wanted to be one of the first people there.

Well, sadly, many others had had the same idea and in came 11 (!!!) tourist busses full of people. I was devastated.

But I decided to stay positive and get the best out of it. But it was one big disappointment.

There were so many people that the orangutans didn’t want to come out of the forest.

I don’t blame them. There were so many signs everywhere saying “SILENCE” and yet it was only a few of us who actually kept silent.

I tried to tell a couple of families to maybe get their children to be quiet, but I was only awarded with dirty looks – I hate selfish parents and little spoilt brats.

.
.