Saturday, September 14, 2013

Magical Island of Borneo


Borneo is an island located north of Java, west of Sulawesi, east of Sumatra; at the geographic centre of Maritime Southeast Asia. The island is being “shared” by three countries; Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia, and considered as the world third largest island and the largest island in Asia. Borneo is also the home to the oldest rainforest in the world.

    Yes, I am from Borneo. Precisely, from the Miri City of Sarawak. And Sarawak is the largest state in Malaysia.

I am still not qualified to talk about this island because even if I write hundreds of posts on this website, it is still not enough to conclude every aspect of Borneo. From the geography to the territories and the sub-ethnic groups living in the island to the cultures and lifestyles of the people and all the entertainment and tourist attractions; Borneo can only be summed up into one word.

    MAGICAL.

Why did I say so? There is no other islands in this world where you can find three countries dividing the territories among each other and still the people live in harmony. There is no other islands in this world with so many different sub-ethnics, cultures, beliefs and languages. There is no other islands or places with so many myths and folklore being told over the generations and the stories still live in every younger souls like they were hundreds of years ago.

Okay, I might be exaggerating a little bit but because this is my homeland, I have the right to brag a little bit about it. Maybe some of the things I mentioned above are wrong, so if it is, I apologise. By the way, I do keep Borneo as one of the places I want to travel. Even though I’ve been living here for years, I never really got the chance to explore the island.

    But instead of trying to travel to Borneo first, I have decided to keep Borneo as one of my last destinations to explore.

I have decided to go to other foreign places first before I come back and see what Borneo has to offer and compare why Borneo is much more magical than those places I have visited. I have not been out of Sarawak before but even in Sarawak, it will take a while before someone can finish touring the whole state.

If you’re coming to Sarawak and wish to travel the state, ensure that you put Gunung Mulu National Park, Lambir Hills National Park, Similajau National Park, Bako National Park, Kubah National Park, San Ching Tian Temple, Niah Cave, Kelabit Highland Bario, Kuching Waterfront, Damai Beach and many more into your list of must-visit destinations.

Sarawak has more than 40 sub-ethnic groups, each with its own distinct language, culture and lifestyle.  Major ethnic groups include Iban, Chinese, Malay, Bidayuh, Melanau and Orang Ulu.

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: Magical Island of Borneo
.
.