Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Danum Valley - Coffin Trail Lookout Hike


Our morning activity is a steep hike up to a lookout point which also takes us to an ancient burial site of the Kadazan-Dusun people and also a lovely cascade called Fairy Waterfall.

We see a lot of colorful insects along the way, and have a first-hand introduction to leeches.

We are all sweating buckets in the heat and humidity, and yesterday's rain makes the trail quite slippery.

Fortunately there are strong ropes to hold for the steepest portions.

Our efforts are rewarded even more at the end of the hike with another sighting of an orangutan in the wild!

Thank goodness for leech socks!

I return to my cabin to take a quick shower before lunch, and I check my shoes carefully as I remove them.

My right foot has 4 live leeches attached to the socks, trying their hardest to worm their way to my flesh (and blood).

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: Danum Valley - Coffin Trail Lookout Hike
.
.