RANAU: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has announced several measures to improve the safety aspects of Mount Kinabalu, following last week’s earthquake where 16 people had been confirmed dead so far.
He said this included equipping every mountain guide on duty with a walkie-talkie so that they could relay and receive important information quickly in the event of an emergency.
Efforts should also be made to upgrade the helicopter landing pad on the mountain to accommodate bigger craft whenever they are needed for transporting injured climbers or rescue personnel.
Additionally, latest sensors should be installed to help monitor tremors which could give vital information to geologist in anticipating possible earthquake, so that warning can be issued if needed.
“From what I understand, it is still impossible to predict earthquake but we can monitor smaller tremors, which may or may not indicate that a bigger earthquake is going to happen. We will leave the decision to call for early quake warning to the experts.
“These were among the recommendations that have been looked into and they can be implemented,” he said before presenting assistance to the family members of four mountain guides who lost their lives in the 5.9 magnitude quake early last Friday.
At the event Najib also presented assistance to the Kinabalu Mountain Guide Association as a token of recognition for the bravery and heroic display of its members in rescuing stranded victims and recovering the bodies of their fallen comrades amidst continuing aftershocks.
Najib who cut short his official programme to Saudi Arabia and returned to Malaysia Monday evening, visited the district to extend his condolences and support to family members of the victims.
The premier also inspected the damage caused by the earthquake to Kinabalu National Park and public facilities in the district.
Continue reading at: RM10 mln to restore Mount Kinabalu.