Sunday, June 21, 2015

Our final days, Part 2….Kuching, Borneo, Malaysia

Here is part 2 of our time in Kuching, Borneo, Malaysia.

We have a flight tomorrow from Kuala Lumpur to Zurich, via Istanbul.

But first we have to fly from Kuching to Kuala Lumpur – a short flight we booked on a budget airline.

Rather than go to KL early, we decided to stay in Kuching until the last possible day as our flight to Zurich is not until almost midnight.

We did this partly because its cheaper to stay in Kuching, but also because just the thought of having to take the bus one hour to downtown KL and then the monorail to a hostel and then back to the airport is exhausting. That’s how tired we are.

We need a break. Some might scoff at this and say we’ve been on vacation for the last 275 days.

And while they are right, it is a vacation, it is also mentally and physically exhausting.

We are both as skinny as we’ve ever been in our adult lives and even getting these blogs done can be grueling (but that’s mostly due to electronic issues and the incredible amount of time it can take to get pictures uploaded, in the right place and then captioned – oh, and that doesn’t count the edits I promptly receive from my father).

But that has not stopped us from enjoying the last few days we have in Kuching.

We have wandered the streets: shopping, eating and soaking it all in. It’s a great small city, with friendly people, good food and free museums.

On a whim, we decided to bus out to a crocodile farm. On the bus, we were the main attraction. Everyone wanted to know where we were going, and why.

Good thing I brought the brochure. They very kindly guided us to the right stop, which we probably would have missed.

Not realizing the bus would take over an hour, we arrived a bit late, but just in time for the afternoon feeding. Which was incredible.

I have never seen reptiles this large, and while they are in captivity, many of them have large habitats.

We watched as two brave men tied chicken pieces to a pulley system and hung them out over the water.

Then we waited as salt water crocodiles from every direction started emerging from sunning themselves.

The quick and agile ones were able to jump up for the meat, which was promptly replaced for the next croc.

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: Our final days, Part 2….Kuching, Borneo, Malaysia