Tuesday, June 09, 2015

My first time in Malaysia discovering Sarawak in Borneo


Until a few months ago I had never heard of Sarawak – one of the two Malaysian states of Borneo.

Quite possibly I would have failed to locate Borneo on a map!

I had no idea that at the end of May I would find myself in Malaysia – for the first time – to discover the local food and culture.

Then I received an invitation on behalf of Malaysia Airlines to join a group of selected London bloggers to a foodie’s adventure to Sarawak.

I accepted, of course. What followed was one of the best trips I have ever had, during which I completely fell in love with Malaysia and with Sarawak in particular, and its food!

Sarawak, known locally as the Land of the Hornbills, is situated in the northwest of Borneo (the third-largest island in the world, divided among Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia).

It is a huge state, almost the same size as the whole of Peninsular Malaysia!

We spent four days between Kuching and Damai Beach, visited local tribes and learnt about their traditions at the Sarawak Cultural Village, shopped with the locals at Satok’s food market and cooked traditional meals, tasted the best satay, noodles, laksa and kek lapis.

Continue reading (Incl. Pics & Vid) at: My first time in Malaysia discovering Sarawak in Borneo
.
.