Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Meander With Meg: Wildlife Spotting On A Kinabatangan River Cruise, Borneo


Travelling Malaysia recently made me realise that we travel for many different reasons. The destinations we pick suit our goals for that particular bit of travel.

For instance, if you want to sit on a beach and read your book, you might pick somewhere sun-drenched in the Mediterranean.

If you love to ski then you will of course prioritise a winter holiday in a mountainous region over somewhere in hotter climes.

It has been one of my life-long dreams to see wild orangutan.

Recently backpacking in Malaysia I realised I was within easy access of reaching one of my ultimate travel goals; to head to the jungles of Borneo.

Unwittingly, I had based myself in a destination that would enable me to fulfil one of my initial reasons for travel.

The more I thought about capturing a glimpse of an orangutan in the wild, the pull of Borneo became too much to ignore.

Where to go to spot these rare primates took a little bit of research. I pictured Borneo as an island of largely impenetrable jungle. This turned out to be true only in part.

Of course, to give myself the best possible chance of spotting orangutan I wanted to be right in the thick of it, so to speak.

The more I read about the Kinabatangan River, the more I realised that this was the right destination to attain my travel goal.

The Kinabatangan River trip that I booked turned out to be an experience that further concreted my love for travel, and for spotting wildlife in their natural habitats.


Sabah, Borneo

The Sabah Region has some of the most diverse concentration of wildlife in Borneo.

Furthermore, the Lower Kinabatangan Region is estimated to have the largest concentration of wildlife in all of Malaysia.

It is renowned for colourful tropical birds, crocodiles, monitor lizards, monkeys, tree snakes and even the rare orangutan, proboscis monkey and the pygmy elephant.

.
.